About me

About me


Hi! I am Sohael Sadruddin Bābwāni (pronounced as baa-b-waa-nee). I live in Mumbai, India. I am a teacher as well as a student of Mathematics. I did my Bachelor's degree in Commerce in 2001. I like to do Math being my favourite subject; and also its allied subjects like Physics, Astronomy, Geography etc. where even a bit of Math is used.

I have made a formula to calculate the weekday if the date, month and year of any given date (both AD and BC) is given. The same formula was published in The Mathematical Gazette, London in November 2004 (vol. 88, no. 513 pages 569-573). A method already existed to find the same which is known by the name of Zeller's Algorithm; (made by Christian Zeller of Germany in 1886); which was not known to me till I made my formula independently. While going through the Zeller's Algorithm, I found some limitations in it; as it was slightly complicated and could not find date, month and year where other information is given. I wrote an article explaining and proving the same and it was considered to be published.

For instance, in Zeller's algorithm the months are numbered from 3 for March to 14 for February. The year is assumed to begin in March; this means, for example, that January 1995 is to be treated as month 13 of 1994. But in my method of finding the weekday, the months are numbered properly 1 for January to 12 for December.

I had made this formula independently way back in 1996. But I only got to know about the Mathematical Gazette in the year 2002. I submitted the formula in September 2002 and it was approved (of course after a few revisions) in March 2003 and published in November 2004.

This is not the first and the last formula used to find the weekday. The best example is the Zeller's Algorithm in 1886. However, I didn't know about it till I happen to search the net in 2002. Fortunately, my approach was different and I also had elaborated the ways to find the date, month and the year. Thereby, I qualified to get it published.


A word from me


Many believe that the elementary algebra and geometry learnt in the school or college is burdensome and is of no use. But, I firmly believe that though everyone may not be dealing in solving the sums directly, we use these concepts in our everyday life at most times unknowingly and indirectly. But whether you use a computer or an mp3 player or even a house or a bridge, you need math and logic. It is important therefore to teach the students the practical importance of learning math, logic, algebra and geometry.

For example, the calendar formula we are dealing in has many practical applications. One can orally calculate the weekday of any given date especially the one in the same year. Suppose the year 2007 is about to get over and you don't possess a calendar for the year 2008. So temporarily, till you get the calendar of 2008; which calendar month of 2007 can you use instead of January 2008? Using the calendar formula you can calculate that it is May of 2007 that you can use temporarily for January 2008.

Feel free to express your opinion/constructive criticism/suggestion at sohaelbabwani@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment